top of page



Boghossian Morais LLP have successfully helped many skilled workers with foreign work experience to immigrate to Canada via both the Federal Skilled Worker program and the Federal Skilled Trades program.

Applications for both the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program are processed through the Express Entry system’s selection process for permanent residency.

Our immigration lawyers at Boghossian Morais LLP are thorough in their approach to assisting clients. Together with our team, they will work closely with you to gather the necessary information and ensure that your application demonstrates that you meet all the criteria with:

  • knowledge of the law, rules and regulations, as they apply to the application processes;

  • sound advice on factors which could improve your score; and,

  • diligence and care taken to ensure all proper documentation is gathered adequately completed, and well presented.

Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Workers program might be right for you if you are a skilled worker with foreign work experience and you want to immigrate to Canada permanently.

In this program ‘skilled workers’ are selected on the basis of their foreign skilled work experience, language proficiency, education, and their ability to fully integrate economically into Canadian society, that is in a province or territory, other than Quebec.

This class helps Canada to develop and fill labor market shortages by allowing foreign nationals to bring their skills and expertise to the Canadian economy.

If you are admissible to Canada and meet the minimum work experience within the last ten years before you apply, language ability, education requirements, and have enough funds to initially settle in Canada, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will then assess your application based on the following six criteria:

  • age;

  • education;

  • work experience;

  • valid job offer in Canada;

  • certain English/French language skills (writing, reading, listening, speaking); and,

  • adaptability.

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

The Federal Skilled Trades program is right for you if you are a skilled tradesperson who wants to become a Canadian permanent resident based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

To qualify for this program under the Express Entry system, candidates with a skilled trade are selected on the basis of meeting the following minimum requirements:

  • a minimum of English/French language levels (writing, reading, listening, speaking);

  • a minimum of two years full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time hours) in a skilled trade within the five years prior to applying.

  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as determined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) and the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification; and,

  • have a valid job offer of full-time employment for at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.


If you are a person with foreign work/trades skills or a Canadian employer interested in hiring a foreign resource and would like to learn more about the requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker program or the Federal Skilled Trades Program as subsets of the Express Entry system; or you are a candidate in need of assistance in getting started with the Canadian permanent residence application process(es), then our Ottawa-based immigration lawyers at Boghossian Morais LLP can help.

bottom of page